Onn Hafiz: State govt drafting masterplan for Johor-Singapore Special Economic Zone
19 Feb 2025, 07:47 pm
main news image

Johor Menteri Besar Datuk Onn Hafiz Ghazi says the masterplan involves key agencies such as the Iskandar Regional Development Authority (Irda) and would outline the state’s plans to develop the Johor-Singapore Special Economic Zone over the next few years. (Photo by Zahid Izzani/The Edge)

ISKANDAR PUTERI (Feb 19): The Johor state government is currently drafting a masterplan for the Johor-Singapore Special Economic Zone (JS-SEZ).

Johor Menteri Besar Datuk Onn Hafiz Ghazi said the masterplan involves key agencies such as the Iskandar Regional Development Authority (Irda) and would outline the state’s plans to develop the JS-SEZ over the next few years.

“We are working on the JS-SEZ Masterplan and expect to finalise it by June,” he said during a fireside chat session at the Singapore Business Federation Business Mission conference here on Wednesday.

The session was moderated by UOB Malaysia chief executive officer Ng Wei Wei.

When asked how the RM5 billion infrastructure development fund proposed by the federal government for the JS-SEZ would be utilised, Onn Hafiz said: “The RM5 billion will tie to the masterplan. It will not be used in an ad hoc manner; we will have to strategise to ensure the funds are well spent.”

Meanwhile, the menteri besar also touched on several matters, such as public infrastructure, tourism attractions, roads, and public transport, that the state has planned to make Johor the preferred destination to invest, work, live, and play.

He noted that the elevated Autonomous Rapid Transit (elevated ART) system project, which would help disperse traffic in the city area, is expected to be finalised by March.

“I will be chairing a meeting with the Private Public Partnership Unit and the Transport Ministry,” he added.

Previously, Transport Minister Anthony Loke said that the government would issue a request for proposal (RFP) for the elevated ART project soon after the ministry presented the proposal for the project to the Cabinet in December.

Uploaded by Lam Seng Fatt

Print
Text Size
Share