Sunday 19 May 2024
By
main news image

KUALA LUMPUR (March 13): No personal data was leaked despite telecommunications service provider Maxis Bhd experiencing a hacking scare earlier last month, Minister of Digital Gobind Singh Deo said on Wednesday.

Only the company’s so-called Maxis Interactive Retail Assistant queue management system portal at one of its branches was compromised by hacking group R00TK1T ISC Cyber Team, Gobind said in response to Chong Zhe Min (PH-Kampar) during the oral question and answer session in Dewan Rakyat.

"This system operates independently and is not connected to any critical Maxis system,” Gobind said. “The Personal Data Protection Department (JPDP) has conducted a follow-up investigation based on the notification from Maxis and determined that no personal data was compromised based on the data samples provided.”

Nevertheless, the ministry recognises the importance of cyber security and will continuously monitor data security and the safety of the national digital infrastructure through several agencies including CyberSecurity Malaysia and JPDP, Gobind stressed.

He also reiterated that the ministry will continue to work with the National Cyber Security Agency and other related agencies abroad to track and take action against threat actors.

"We are always committed to continuing to implement the necessary actions, together with all stakeholders, in strengthening cybersecurity controls to ensure that the level of national cybersecurity threats is under control," Gobind added.

For more Parliament stories, click here.

Edited ByJason Ng
      Print
      Text Size
      Share