Friday 09 Jun 2023
By /
main news image

KUALA LUMPUR (March 12): The government has not decided whether to cancel or continue the RM1.2 billion National Integrated Immigration System (NIISe) project, which has not progressed as anticipated.

According to a Bernama report, Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail said the project was discussed at a recent Cabinet meeting and his ministry had been given until next month to submit a memo on the project to the Cabinet.

He said Iris Corp Bhd was awarded the project in March 2021, with a deadline of August 2024 to deliver the project.

However, the project has not achieved adequate progress as at March 2023, added Saifuddin.

"So I am responsible for reporting the matter to the Cabinet because this project costs RM1.2 billion,” he said in response to media reports that the Cabinet had decided to axe the NIISe project.

NIISe, which is being developed by Iris Corp's wholly owned subsidiary Iris Information Technology Systems Sdn Bhd (IITS), is meant to replace the Malaysian Immigration System (MyIMMs) system that has been used by the Immigration Department for over 20 years.

In February, Iris Corp entered into a share sale agreement to sell 80% equity interest in IITS for RM70 million cash to Tass Tech Technologies Sdn Bhd, which is wholly owned by Tass Tech (M) Sdn Bhd (TTSB). 

According to the Companies Commission Malaysia, as on Nov 7, 2022, TTSB was 70%-owned by Shukor Ahmed, while the remaining 30% was held by Raja Muhammad Badiuzzaman Raja Chulan.

Raja Muhammad Badiuzzaman, a former G3 Global Bhd group chief executive officer, is the executive director and CEO of TTSB.

Iris Corp said the disposal would allow the group to unlock its value of investment in IITS and contribute positively to its cash flow, with proceeds from the sale to be used for working capital and any future business expansions.

The deal is expected to be concluded in August.

Saifuddin said the Home Ministry was committed to the success of the NIISe project and protecting the interest of users, including the Immigration Department, to ensure that the delivery of services to the people is not affected.

"At the moment, the ministry and I are managing this matter. I don't want to speculate and make any assumptions because this matter needs research.

"Of course, a large-scale project has several parameters before deciding whether to continue or cancel it," he said.

      Text Size