KUALA LUMPUR (March 6): The East Klang Valley Expressway (EKVE) is 91% complete, the Works Ministry said, adding that the highway's construction was temporarily halted previously due to rising construction costs.
The concession company had to obtain additional funds to cover the increased costs, the ministry said in a written parliamentary reply on Monday (March 6).
It said the funding issue has been resolved, and construction work was to have resumed in mid-February.
The highway is expected to be opened in stages beginning in 2024, the ministry added in its reply to Syahredzan Johan [DAP-Bangi], who had asked the government to disclose the construction progress as well as the completion date of the EKVE.
Syahredzan also asked the government to list out the incidents of flash floods, mud floods, soil erosion, pollution and related issues that have been identified as resulting from the EKVE construction works, and the actions taken.
The ministry said there were three water overflow events in 2022, affecting the project’s localized area in Sierra Ukay, but the incidence of such unexpected events were decreasing.
“Regular monitoring will also be carried out continuously along the EKVE range, especially in the identified hotspot areas to ensure safety and mitigation plans can be carried out immediately in the event of any emergency,” said the ministry.