Tuesday 23 Apr 2024
main news image

KUALA LUMPUR (March 13): Cahya Mata Sarawak Bhd (CMS) said today that its indirect joint venture entity has been awarded the contract to construct a bridge crossing with a connecting road in Bintulu, Sarawak for RM466.68 million.  

The contract was awarded by the Sarawak government to PPES Works CCCC JV Sdn Bhd, a joint-venture between PPES Works (Sarawak) Sdn Bhd (PPES Works) and China Communications Construction Company (M) Sdn Bhd (CCCC (M)).  

CMS owns a 51% stake in PPES Works, whereas the remaining 49% is held by the Sarawak Economic Development Corp.

“Known to the parties involved as ‘Package 5’, the scope of work includes the proposed construction and completion of the proposed Bintulu-Jepak bridge crossing Kuala Kemena, which upon its completion will not only improve connectivity, but will be an addition to the stunning engineering marvels to grace the Sarawak skyline,” CMS said in a statement.  

The cable-stayed bridge will be 1,048 metres long, with a four-lane double carriageway. 

Also included in the scope of work is a flyover over Jalan Tun Ahmad Zaidi, Jalan Tun Razak and the Jalan Abang Galau traffic junction, with a four km-long connecting road.  

The contract runs for four years to April 2, 2023. 

CMS group operations chief executive officer Goh Chii Bing said: “With the construction and opening of the iconic and hugely popular Darul Hana Bridge in Kuching, the CMS group of companies has shown not only its engineering prowess but also placed itself at the heart of pioneering engineering achievements that are as aesthetically pleasing, as they are functional.” 

“I’m sure that the partnership with CCCC (M), given its distinguished portfolio and past achievements, will be of great value to PPES Works as the two great companies unite to bring about a more connected and rapidly developing Sarawak,” Goh added.  

CMS shares climbed seven sen or 2.10% today to RM3.40, giving the group a market capitalisation of RM3.65 billion.

      Text Size